Thursday, October 12, 2006

"Window walkin' downtown, feelin' mighty good..."


This year I've discovered a real joy in going to university where I do. Mac is perfectly situated - it's only 5 minutes (driving) to Dundas or Westdale, both of which have wonderful used-book stores, and in 10 minutes I can be in Ancaster, which I'm still exploring.

Yesterday afternoon I had a few hours to spare before picking Ben up from Streetlight. So I grabbed the yellow pages and looked up bookstores. I found quite a list, picked up the car (I'm very strong! :D ), and went through my list, starting in Westdale. Success on the very first hit! The Westdale Bookworm is a small shop on a quiet part of King Street, and is absolutely stuffed with books! I've been looking for a nice hardcover copy of Jane Eyre, and I found two there! So I bought one of them (tough decision- which one to take?). Is there any better sensation in the world than walking out of an old bookstore into a blustery fall day with the very book you've been looking for, bought at a very reasonable price? I doubt it.

I still have about half the list left to cover - I'm saving that for the next book.


5 Comments:

Blogger Marsha said...

Any suggestions for my next book?

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey! I finally can leave you a comment here! Hopefully it works. I LOVE bookstores too! Used books places are the best - there's a great one close to campfire! (in Flesherton) And I'm done the book you lent me...too soon :( Ah well...can't complain, I've got a stack of books ot go through for my annotated bibliography due Wednesday :S. K! ttyl. God bless!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't read these yet...My Name Is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok; Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens; the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Marsha said...

Thanks for the suggestions, anonymous! Which one would you say is the best?

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start with 'Asher Lev' maybe...though you might like Our Mutual Friend better. It doesn't really matter

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home